https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/effective-sentence.html
https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2022/03/all-about-completing-sentences.html
https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html

Modals

Look at the table and see the meaning, function and uses of modals:


Modals

Meaning

Expressing

Example

must

to have to

strong obligation

I must stop when the traffic lights turn red.

to be very probable

logical conclusion (deduction)

He must be very tired after such enormous work

must not

not to be allowed to

prohibition

You must not smoke in the hospital.

can

to be able to

ability

I can swim

to be allowed to

pertpä9iãxion

Can I use your phone please?

it is possible

possibility

Smoking can cause cancer!

could

to be able to

ability in the past

When I was younger, I could stay up all night and not get tired.

to be allowed to

more polite permission

Excuse me, could I just say something?

it is possible

possibility

It could rain tomorrow!

may

to be allowed to

permission

May I use your phone, please?

it is possible, probable

possibility, probability

It may rain tomorrow!

 

it is possible,

weak possibility,

I might come and visit

 

probable

probability

you in America next year if I can save enough money.

need

necessary

necessity

Need I say more?

need not

not necessary

lack of necessity/ absence of obligation

I need not buy any tomatoes. There are plenty in the fridge.

should/ ought to

used to say or ask what the correct or best thing to do

moderate obligation

I should / ought to see a doctor. I have a terrible headache.

to suggest an action or to show that it is necessary

advice

You should / ought to revise your lessons.